Friday 13 March 2015

Scifest and Selma

This last week was a very busy one. Friday was SciFest day, which we had been looking forward to for a while. We went down to the hall at nine o'clock and started setting up our projects. As we had already done our project for the Young Scientist, all we needed to do was put a few finishing touches to our project and we were done.

The judges came into the hall and started looking around and evaluating people's projects. We had prepared what we were going to say before and had a video of us doing our tests in the primary schools. The judges seemed really interested in what we had to say. We came first in the end, which was great, and each got a 20 euro One For All voucher.

On Monday the Minor hockey finals were on (!) and all the TYs went along to support the team. We piled onto the buses at twelve and arrived in just in time for the match to start. Unfortunately, we didn't win, but the team played well and we had a really fun time supporting them.

On Tuesday, the TY's went to see Selma in Liffey Valley with our History teachers. I was looking forward to this a lot as I hadn't seen the film a lot and am doing History for Leaving Cert. The film was amazing - very hard-hitting and it really made you think. There may have been a few tears shed, but I enjoyed it a lot and thought that it should have definitely been nominated for at least one Oscar. David Oyewolo who played Martin Luther King was especially brilliant.

On Wednesday I did my third day of Work Experience at the Weston Restaurant in Lucan. I have been working as a general kitchen assistant and waitress- I basically do a lot of cleaning! As soon as I got in I had to chop and wash potatoes and make chips. I also made scones, washed dishes, scrubbed and swept the floors and cleaned the kitchen units. It was a busy day! I'm enjoying this work experience a lot as I'm never bored and I've been able to learn new things and develop skills. It's hard work, but it pays off.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.